Microsoft took over the search company FAST search and Transfer in the year 2008 and after that Microsoft developed FAST Search Server 2010 for SharePoint that is a fully integrated search server engine.
Benefits we get:
- Now you can see thumbnails and previews of your word or powerpoint files in the search result page. Power point files can be previewed without opening file or even with a PowerPoint client or with office web application.
- By using office application office files can be opened in the browser.
- FAST search provides visual best bets which are pictures or videos that are best bets for several key words.
- FAST Search provides the capability of result refining on metadata associated with all results.
- SharePoint search provides powerful social capabilities search like based on user information like department, skills, city etc.
- Each property can be the base of sorting, configured in the “Sort by” field.
- You can see similar search result in FAST search.
- FAST Search supports language-specific search.
- In FAST Search, custom queries can be set up using the native query language for FAST.
- FAST Search Server 2010 can be scale-out upto 500 million items.
- Can be possible relevance ranking.
- Easy-to-configure sorting and refinement.